[geeks] Quickest way

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Oct 9 09:19:23 CDT 2003

On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 09:24 AM, Scott Howard wrote:

> Why the hell would you want to do that?
> /usr/sfw and /opt/sfw both exist for a purpose - by combining them
> you're
> going to do everything from screw up the package database (which thinks
> the SFW* stuff is installed in /opt/sfw) to confusing the issue of what
> programs are supported (and thus updated with patches, etc) and which
> aren't.

Because...

Seriously I have 3GB on /usr and 1GB on /opt.  After adding a bunch of
software I was over 50% full on /opt... now I'm down to around
9-16%.... and because /opt/sfw is now a symlink to /usr/sfw... No patch
problems... solved...

> For the record, /usr/sfw is the home for Sun support products, which
> are
> included in the base OS, whilst /opt/sfw is for stuff from the
> companion
> CD which is included with Solaris but unsupported.

Since I don't care about Sun support.... it doesn't matter.

Andrew