[geeks] Quickest way

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Oct 9 08:24:52 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:37:42PM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> What is the quickest way to move a bunch of files from /opt/sfw to
> /usr/sfw on two separate partitions preserving all permissions in
> Solaris 9.  For some reason I seem to think cp will crash and tar won't
> quite work.  Do I need dump/restore?

Why the hell would you want to do that?
/usr/sfw and /opt/sfw both exist for a purpose - by combining them you're
going to do everything from screw up the package database (which thinks
the SFW* stuff is installed in /opt/sfw) to confusing the issue of what
programs are supported (and thus updated with patches, etc) and which
aren't.

For the record, /usr/sfw is the home for Sun support products, which are
included in the base OS, whilst /opt/sfw is for stuff from the companion
CD which is included with Solaris but unsupported.

  Scott