[geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay off topic)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 06:40:53 CDT 2003

(Attribution lost)

> > Still, even that's not as bad as whichever-TV-news-show-it-was
> > blowing up a Ford pickup with explosives to support their
> > allegation that it was prone to fuel tank fires.

IIRC it was a chevy/GMC pickup, and the news show was reporting on an
independent report that claimed the truck was unsafe, but the camera
crew, wanting to ensure a "good shoot" put model rocket engines around
the fuel tank to ensure the footage was the "money shot".

The issues were:

 - Independent test results which were considered accurate (the truck
   was redesigned)

 - The camera crew wanted to ensure a good shoot by preparing the truck

 - The reporter/show never indicated that this was a dramatic
   simulation, that the truck had been rigged to blow

IIRC, if the newsshow had simply put a disclaimer on the screen saying
"simulation" they could have avoided the lawsuit.

That's how I remember it...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall