[geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay off topic)

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Oct 8 23:10:31 CDT 2003

> I disagree.  Before I even heard about the Consumer
> Reports' tests, I saw that show on PBS that does
> testing...Auto Week I think it's called.  You didn't

> have to *try* to roll over the Samurai, that was the
> whole point.
>
> Auto Week did their standard "avoidance test", and had
> to put skid plates on the Samurai--if they hadn't, the
> dog-leg was so bad it would have went over on it's
> side.  That's not *trying* to roll it over--at least,
> not on the part of the testers.
>
> Now, many small cars have dog-legging problems, that's
> well known (which can generally be ameliorated with the
> right suspension 'hacks' and tires).  But the Samurai
> was ridiculous, and Suzuki deserved the smack that it
> got for designing such a POS.
>
> On the other hand, a few months back, I drove a Suzuki
> Aerio from the Bay Area to LA.  Now that's a nice little
> car.
>
> =Nadine=

I know a couple of people that have/had them and I never heard
of any problems with them rolling.  Not scientific but not
as bad was hyped by CR.  With a high center of gravity and
small wheel base you just couldn't drive it like a sports
car.  That's pretty true with any SUV today.  They did improve
their cars though.  At least they didn't order undersized tires
and when the vehicles were rolling due to blowouts, blame
the tire company.  (Take that Ford!)