[geeks] SPARC proprietary

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Oct 5 21:00:14 CDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:52:44PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> They are few and far between.  The media makes more hype about the kid
> though.  Maybe they don't want to excite the Wall Street crowd.  (Now that's
> a paranoid crowd.  I work across the river from them....)

The biggest problem is the Wall Street crowd doesn't want their
lucrative illusions to be shattered. The software they invest in is, by
any sane measure, absolute garbage in most cases.

If the general public had any real idea just how bad the software
industry is, a lot of its inflated value would drop even further than it
already has.

> > The media thinks that breaking into computers is difficult despite
> > evidence to the contrary. You soon see just how dumb they can be when
> > you see them trying x86 exploits against an alpha/sparc/mips.
> >
> Seen that many times.

My firewall logs show so many Windows-only attacks against my Sun
server, I finally had to turn the logging off, as it was filling up my
/var, and I only have a 33.6Kbps PPP connection right now.

What bothers me though is that even though they show no skills in
running someone elses cracking program, or following some instructions
another person wrote down, that same time could be used to practice
useful things.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com