[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sat Mar 22 03:51:26 CST 2003

On Saturday 22 March 2003 01:03, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> > Oh.  That's right.  There's no typical Linux equivalent of "make world".
> > I'm getting spoiled by BSD.  A Linux distribution with things like "make
> > world" and a ports tree would go a long way towards making it a more
> > useful environment, IMO.
>
> Debian has been making moves towards those who like compiling from scratch.
> Last I checked apt had added commands to fetch and build instead of just
> installing the binaries...  I've not really done anything with it though.

apt-build is what you mean. It's still pretty buggy, for instance: it doesn't
let me install anything, claiming that the package I request is allready
installed, even if that's wrong.

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it