[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Mar 21 18:03:59 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Oh.  That's right.  There's no typical Linux equivalent of "make world".
> I'm getting spoiled by BSD.  A Linux distribution with things like "make
> world" and a ports tree would go a long way towards making it a more
> useful environment, IMO.

Debian has been making moves towards those who like compiling from scratch.
Last I checked apt had added commands to fetch and build instead of just
installing the binaries...  I've not really done anything with it though.

> Nothing at all--except that it looks like -way- too much (unnecessary)
> to deploy outside of something to play with at home or on your desk at
> work.  Granted, that's a perfectly valid niche to fill, but it
> definitely doesn't look like an "everywhere" OS.

This I agree with you on.  It sounded interesting to me until I saw you
had to do EVERYTHING by hand.

I think they are trying to straddle between most distributions and
Linux From Scratch.  They're boot CD is so you don't need an already
running Linux system, like LFS requires...  I want to try the LFS thing
at some point, but do it on sparc, just for the hell of it.

However, Gentoo doesn't seem appropriate to me for most installations...

--Kurt