[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 30 15:35:57 CST 2003

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 04:30 PM, Brian wrote:
> Was just thinking of the demise of mips, their brief windows products,
> and
> now Linux products.

   Aren't they preparing to ship the R18K?

   As for their Windows products...that was a bad idea to start with,
and they recognized it before it tanked the company.  Every other "real
computer" company that has started making Windows boxes has
failed...witness DEC, Data General, Unisys...

   As for their Linux products...anyone who thinks they can make money
selling a free operating system is a moron.

   The development and sale of their real computers remains the same.

>   Seems to me the company has abruptly changed
> directions a few times and well, they're likely not going away soon
> due to
> their US govt work. For individial use, fine, I'd just be hesitant to
> roll
> em in a production environment en masse.

   Why?  IRIX is mature, known, undergoing active development, fully
supported, and showing no signs of doing anything otherwise.

   IRIX's only crime, and this is only a crime from a suit's point of
view, is that it isn't from Microsoft.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                 "Rubber duckies *are* important."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Doc Shipley