[geeks] Jesus this guy could be me

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu Jan 30 00:30:40 CST 2003

It's the "new" interconnect protocol/transport that Intel is pushing to
replace... Well everything really.

The ide is that it is a universal high speed data interconnect. It's a
multichannel packet switching interconnect topology, currently specced
at up to 30Gb/sec and a 17m cabling limit for copper, or multi km limit
for fiber.

Intels vision is that every major system component will be connected
directly through infiniband, replacing all current peripheral
interconnects including PCI, AGP, SCSI, USB, Firewire etc...
Initially it will be used for mass storage controllers and similar
devices. I know there were some inifiniband products announced last year
but I don't think there are any in the wild as of yet.

Heres the officail faq which isnt very good
http://www.infinibandta.org/specs/faq/