[geeks] PCMCIA Flash

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Jan 28 18:51:24 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 01:31, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> How big is this thing?  I admit, having two PCMCIA slots would solve much
> of my problem.

the dual slot pcmcia expansion pack about doubles the size of the ipaq i
believe, but i've never seen one in person, only pictures.

> > > 5GB PCMCIA Hard Drive
> > > Pros:	Good deal.  Great capacity.
> > > Cons:	Moving parts.
> >
> > I wasn't as aware of these.  What is pricing like?
>
> Apparently they're available for about $150 if you look a little.  Not bad
> for 5GB.

Not bad, but one thing i hadn't considered was mentioned by another list
member, power consumption.  the ipaq's expansion pack has an additional
battery in it to power the pcmcia devices, but i really have no clue
what battery life would be like when running a hard drive and a 802.11b
card.

	-Dan Sikorski