[geeks] PCMCIA Flash

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 27 23:26:47 CST 2003

Ok.  I just got myself a PDA that has a Type-III PCMCIA slot, and a
Type-II CompactFlash slot.  It's a ROM-based WindowsCE machine and I
intend to install NetBSD/hpcmips 1.6 on it.  Now, I've been looking at
some of my options for storage...  tell me if you have any additional
suggestions:

1GB CompactFlash
Pros:	No moving parts.
Cons:	Expensive.  Small capacity.

1GB Microdrive
Pros:	I get employee price.
Cons:	Moving parts.  Small capacity.

The above two would be used in combination with a PCMCIA 802.11 card which
would be no problem under NetBSD.

5GB PCMCIA Hard Drive
Pros:	Good deal.  Great capacity.
Cons:	Moving parts.

PCMCIA Flash (I don't know what capacities are available.)
Pros:	??
Cons:	No moving parts.

The problem with the above two is that I'd have to use a CF 802.11 card,
and I have no idea whether that would work fine under NetBSD.

I would appreciate any help.

Peace...  Sridhar