[geeks] Re: Octane Review

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 24 07:06:11 CST 2003

<<
This is really funny to read. The guy compares PC's to an Octane.

http://www.gcn.com/archives/gcn/1998/august31/40.htm

"Not until Intel Corp. brings out the 64-bit Merced processor will PC
makers undertake major redesign. Despite advances in technology, today's
PC architecture differs little from that of the original IBM Corp. PC
almost 15 years ago."

It was written in 1998 ;-)

shawn

Nice article. I like the "Handling similar apps, SGI system outduels average PC in speed, flexibility" headline. However at $48,175 you'd would hope so :-)

I'm not sure if I should praise or decry the forces that have reduced a $48,175 machine to around $700 in just over four years.

Regards,

Gavin