[geeks] OSX optimizations

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Wed Jan 22 16:10:11 CST 2003

On Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003, at 15:49 US/Eastern, David Cantrell wrote:

> How bad is it, really?

Bigendian and I did a comparison.

His: Pismo G3/500 512RAM 100MHz bus OS 10.1 UFS
Mine: Wallstreet G3/250 256RAM 83MHz bus OS 10.2.2 HFS+

Mine is half his in most respects, and you'd expect it to be trounced
in any speed competition. But it was horribly opposite. Mine was ready
to use in about a minute from power-on, and I had all my usual apps
open in a matter of seconds thereafter.

His took nearly seven minutes to reach the same state, and anything
that required disk access took insanely longer on his machine than
mine. Sad, really. It made the Wallstreet quite happy-looking to me.

---sambo