[geeks] knife sharpening

James james at jdfogg.com
Wed Jan 22 09:59:16 CST 2003

At 09:49 PM 1/21/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Those of you who pocket knives, what equipment and method do you use for
>sharpening?  I've got some pocketknives that could really use it, and
>one that, unfortunately, i can use for practice.  (i used to carry a
>spyderco on me, until it was chewed on by a dog (plastic handle
>lockback, that'll teach me to buy the metal one next time.))  I carry a
>Victornox "Cybertool" (which i love to death for the components other
>than the blades) on me daily, and the blades are too dull for safe use
>anymore.  I also have a couple of others that i'd like to sharpen.  I'm
>familiar with the lansky sharpening kits, but i'm wondering if they're
>the best way to go or not.

Spit stones (wet stones). Some stones (Arkansas for example) work with oil,
but I don't find any advantage in that. If you have been using your knife
as a machete, do a slow gentle grind with a bench grinder first. Avoid any
heat buildup as you will loose temper instantly and the blade will not
retain its sharpness thereafter.