[geeks] Jesus this guy could be me

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Jan 18 15:46:10 CST 2003

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 10:39:54PM +0100, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> (l)gpl license, bsd license, mit license, occasional commercial game, pretty
> open hardware, I feel a lot cleaner since I'm adapting that kinda lifestyle
> in my leisure time. I don't run any windows "apps" except for games.

Open hardware?  Who the hell makes anything reasonably resembling an
open 3D accelerator?  Certainly not ATI, Nvidia, or Matrox.  Or the people
who make that Kyro card.  Who makes an open video IO card (well, Linux
Media Labs makes a rather mediocre one that they price gouge you on).
About the only open hardware is SCSI and ethernet, and stuff where the
chip maker will sell the chips to anyone so it wasn't too hard to
reverse engineer the rest.

--
Joshua D. Boyd