[geeks] Followup on weapons seizure

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat Jan 18 12:31:20 CST 2003

> I disagree on a very base level with your proposal, but hey - opinions
> differ.
>
> --
> Kurt

Kurt, theres a big difference between what I believe in as an ideal, and
what I think can be done in the real world. There will NEVER be any time
in the future unless we have another revolution (a distinct possibility
to my mind BTW) where there is unrestricted firearms ownership.

I believe that almost anything is a fundamental right. I am a strong
believer in the philosophy that your right to swing your fist ends at my
nose. I'm a member of the lertarian party for gods sakes, not because I
actually believe in them as an organization, but because the more mebers
they have the more vianle they seem to others so that maybe eventually
this two party SHIT will get fixed.

I also believe that if we don't do what I suggested the gun banners will
win.

they will win.

They have the media and more than half of our politicians. They have our
schools and our universities. They have the majority of our urban
population.

They will win.

Unless we cut them off at the knees they will win. How do you propose we
do that?

The average person thinks that anyone can go in and buy a gun and that
if it werent for those brady people every felon would be walking around
with a machine gun. How do we fight that?

The only way I can think of is to make a very well publicized national
standard that the gun-banners can't object to without making it clear
that they are actually trying to completely ban all guns. Because most
people think that if you're a basically good person you should be able
to own a gun, but they belive the gun-banners when they say they're
asking for reasonable control. They think there isnt already resonable
control because the media and the banners cast themselves as the
underdog.

They have a massive mis-information campaign, and we have Wayne
LaPierre, Charlton Heston, Tom Selleck, and Eddie the Eagle.

I love my guns. I love them as works of mechanical and egineering art.
As symbols of freedom and individual choice. As tools of protection. But
most people fear guns. They are afraid of a 2 pound hunk of metal and
sometimes plastic that they honestly feel is evil. How do we fight that?

Any ideas? I'll listen?

Chris Byrne