[geeks] Followup on weapons seizure

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat Jan 18 11:24:33 CST 2003

I certainly wont disagree with the last line. It IS inneffective and
short sighted.

But I do believe in the licensing of individuals, not weapons. Not
because I think it's the 100% correct thing to do, but because I believe
we will never see a fully unregulated environment under our current
governement, and that if we must have regulation we should at least have
regulations that are effective and make sense.

It's really simple. I believe that there should be a minimum standard of
competency and safety that must be achieved and maintained to operate a
firearm or other explosive projectile weapon. This standard should be
arrived at by the governments of the several states, the federal
government, the armed forces, police and other law enforcement agencies,
and weapon owners and users together. I believe the safety and
competency standards used and taught by the NRA are more than adequate
for the task, and in fact these standards are used by at least 10 of the
states that issue permits largely unmodified.

This standard should be used to create firearms licenses. It should
either be a federal standard, or one agreed upon and honored by all
states under the full faith and credit act.

This next point is VERY important.

As long as you meet this standard, it is mandatory that you be issued
your license. No matter where you live, who you are, what you do, what
kind of money you have, who you know, or what groups you are involved
in. If you can pass the competency and safety standard you get a
license. No decision involved. Automatic just like a drivers test. You
pass the test you get a license.

Several states already work under this policy.

All controlled weapons of any kind Iincluding automatic weapons) would
be allowed under this license (this would not cover demolitions devices,
explosives, anti-tank or aircraft weapons et.c.. Those would still
require a class 3 or equivalent). If it seems necessary and prudent
perhaps there should be additional qualifications for revolver, pistol,
rifle, shotgun etc... They have very different modes of opertaion so it
may be reasonable to require endorsements for safe operation. Said
endorsements could be signed off by licensed instructors.

That license should be of a fairly long term (five years seems
reasonable) have a very low fee (no more then $50 and even that seems a
bit much to me, but tis fairly standard for drivers license these days),
and you should have to be retested on renewal.

All citizens or permanent resident aliens should be eligible for this
license unless they have been convicted of a violent, alcohol, or drug
related felony or involuntarily commited to a mental institution. These
are already public records considered when applying for a permit so they
do not extend the invasion of privacy any further.

Any illegal use of any weapon by a permit holder would be an immediate
cause for revocation. Any charge of felonius violent crime, DWI/DUI, or
posession of a controlled substance would result in its suspension
pending the outcome of the charges.

All waiting periods would be abolished. All additional background checks
would be abolished. If you have a license you can buy a weapon and
amunition. If you don't you cant.

This license would allow all holders to carry, concealed or open, at all
times and in all places. Including public buildings, police stations,
courthouses, and schools.

There should be a rider on the law bringing this license into existence
barring all litigation against weapon and ammunition manufacturers and
dealers if the weapon is sold to a license holder and is then misused.

I don't think we will ever see this, or anything like it. I think we are
going to have worse wnd worse messes of legislation, patchwork from
state to state and even city to city. I think there are some places
where it will be effectively impossible to own a weapon, and some where
everyone does. Just like today only more so.

Chris Byrne