[geeks] Holy FAST batman!!!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jan 17 15:24:12 CST 2003

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 08:46 PM, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Okay, normally I'm not given to swooning over x86 gear, but I just saw
> something really wild.
>
> My Octane, R12k3 300Mhz, performs one Distributedfolding.com block of
> 5000 protein structures every 3.7 hours - a respectable speed.  I
> installed it, for shits and giggles, on a relatively unused system at
> work that has a single P4 Xeon 1.8Ghz - and it does one block of 5000
> every 25 *minutes*.
>
> I'm actually very fucking impressed.

   Those are some pretty impressive numbers.  I've been chatting with
one of the distributed folding client's authors (discussing Cray
stuff)...I will ask him if the x86 client is assembler-optimized.  I'm
willing to bet it is.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols