[geeks] octane personal video

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 17 10:40:37 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:09:43PM -0500, Kevin wrote:

> Do you believe that given a fast enough array that this device
> will offer superior output than that of my DPS PVR?

Well...  First, if you don't give the Octane a fast enough array, it
will be real crap.

Now then, I think that the Octane PVO might be roughly on PAR [0] with the
DPS PVR.  I trust the Octane PVO to have the advertised quality.  I
don't usually trust video hardware to do that until I've seen it.  I've
seen the PVR in action, but it was a long time ago, and all it did was
output animation to tape or output the animation into a Video Flyer.
And I knew a lot less then.

I'd be inclined to say that the PVR is probably good enough for
capturing and laying video out to tape.  The PVO will do a lot that the
PVR won't, but only if you buy software for the octane other than what
comes with the OS and PVO.  So, if you are happy with PVRs quality, just
keep using it, and copy stuff over the network to/from the Octane.  But,
it is really hard to say without know anything more specifically about
what you are trying to do.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[0] Bad pun, I know.  So shoot me.