[geeks] Introduction

geek list geek.list at munich.bmwracing.org
Mon Jan 13 19:13:18 CST 2003

Greetings, I just joined the list and figure I should give a bit of an
introduction.  Hmmm...  Where to begin...  I like the list, I've been looking
over some of the archives a bit since I came across this list while looking
for SGI stuff (it's almost impossible to find, shall we say, a back up of Ma*a
4.5 unlimited for irix damnit).  The main selling point of this list was the
fact that there's other people out there that like to take out old hardware
and shoot it :)

Anyway, a bit about me, if anyone cares...  I've got a degree in anthropology,
but work at home doing system administration for a friend's company.  I used
to be Vice President of Operations for arguably the crappiest data center in
the world (BurstNet).  The owner's complete lack of management skills, not
letting the rest of the senior staff make decisions to improve things and the
final straw of them bouncing a paycheck to me made my decision rather easy...
 I left faster than a piano hurled from a trebuchet...  The one nice thing
about that job was that I took lots of bad/dead hardware with me and put it to
rest, rather violently I might add.  I shall miss that, but not too much...

Hmmm...  What else, I've been getting into SGI machines a bit of late although
I primarily work in Windows and Linux I've always had a thing for SGI stuff so
I snagged an I2 impact system from ebay and kinda like it...  A little
sluggish compared to my pee cee, but considering how old it is, it runs just
dandy :-)

Other than that, I make swords, am very into historical combat/renaissance
fencing, BMW's, watching sportscar racing, rock climbing, and the wife.

Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to say hey, so hey...

Eric

PS:  I'm going to try to find some pics of when a friend and I destroyed my
old big screen TV with an axe in the middle of my street...  a little
entertaining... ;-)