[geeks] Have seen the light... know which machine I MUST HAVE... *drool*

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Jan 11 21:54:45 CST 2003

I must have one...

HP 9000 V2250.... (*slobber*)

Didn't you just get one Gavin?  I seem to recall a photo of a VClass
that you had up a while ago

I am doing Asset management and spec'ing out all the HP equipment for
our client's (two actually) shared datacenter so we can stock spares....

They have everything from apollo 735's... to K-Class, V-Class... and
rp8400.

I took one look at the ioscan and I am drooling.... I've always used
the unit as a nice table... but it makes me doubly sorry that they feel
the need to send it back (lease ending soon)....gah

Andrew

- Phenomenal cosmic powers... itty bitty case.

Largely based on a 16-way Convex Exemplar SMP with a strong affinity
for technical computing and acquired by HP in 1995, the system now
known as the V2250 was rebranded by HP and reintroduced into the
marketplace in 1997. Although the Convex system exploited an earlier
generation of HP PA-RISC technology, HP was required to expend no
little effort in adapting the system to a compatible version of the
HP-UX operating system, suitable for use in either a commercial or
technical computing environment. The resulting system was initially
announced by HP in May 1997 as the HP Exemplar S2200 technical server.
On May 22, 1997 ((((MY BIRTHDAY...HMMM - KARMA))))  it was re-announced
as the V2200, the first member of a new V-Class high-end commercial
server family. In this position, it assumed the role of leadership at
the high end of the HP server line, effectively displacing the
ill-fated (HP developed) T-class server. In March 1998, based on a
microprocessor upgrade to 240MHz PA-8200 technology, the V-class was
again re-announced as the V2250. In all of these iterations (Convex
Exemplar, HP S2000, HP V2200 and V2250) the system has retained its
fundamental character: that of a large SMP with up to sixteen nodes,
characterized by absolute symmetry among microprocessors and shared
access to critical system components: memory, operating system, and I/O.

"Theres no question that without the V-Class, HPs momentum in UNIX
would have come to a complete standstill." Tom Willmott, Aberdeen Group
in Information Week, December, 1997