[geeks] 1911A1 handguns (was Re: Help me convert...)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Jan 8 23:02:17 CST 2003

"Chris Byrne" <chris at chrisbyrne.com> wrote:

> You know Kurt its scary sometimes how much we agree ;-)

You're the second person today to use my name and "scary" in the same
sentance :)

> their triggers. They just don't feel "right". I suppose it's the safe
> action system that does it for me. To me a properly adjusted Glock
> trigger feels like its got an inch of creep in it (its actually only
> like 1/32" but it feels like more)

I dislike the safe action trigger because it has that nub where the
safety is - it interferes with my finger pad and the 'feel' of the
trigger.  I learned to shoot with a 1911 and a single-action revolver,
and to me a double action trigger is just gross.  I can deal with a
DA/SA pistol, but a DAO irritates the crap out of me.

> Honestly though, most newer guns arent all that pretty. They're very
> blocky, bulky, squat (especially in the case of compacts) and they
> have unatractive finishes for the most part. But they're also touch,
> reliable, and highly corrosion resistant.

But it doesn't have to be that way, IMO.  Look at the Walther P99, it's
an attractive gun with a polymer frame.  I have no idea how it shoots,
handles, or stand up to abuse - but it doesn't hurt my eyes to look at.
It's also very comfortable, judging from handling them at the stores.
I'd like to shoot one if I ever get a chance...

> them. As far as I can tell there is really no way to damage a tenifer
> or ro-guard finish without being deliberate about it or dropping it
> from a fair height onto a rouch surface.

Mmmm....Ro-Guard....

I actually find a good parkerizing job very attractive, though I
understand I may be in the minority.

--
Kurt                "I remember that I've got a solid base of worms and
kurt at k-huhn.com      ant eggs.  I puke like a hero all night long."