[geeks] I've hit rock bottom

Matthew Braun mjbraun at enteract.com
Wed Jan 8 22:20:13 CST 2003

<RANT>

It can only get better from here, because it sure can't get any worse.

I took a craptacular job with a contractor providing on-site support
for Gateway computers. Essentially if you need a new MB, drive, or
power supply added, or you purchase a 802.11b package or a new machine,
I'm the guy with the screwdriver who does the work. It's an insult,
boring, and non productive (and I work 6 days a week). But I don't want
to take a true real job as I'm waiting for a volunteer gig with the
United Nations.

Most gigs have been dull. But today was lower than anything I could
have imagined because of one single location. <shudder>

I went to a apartment for a HD replacement. No big deal.

WRONG

Every single surface was covered with roaches.

Big roaches. Small roaches. The cats (2 of them) were unfed and
yowling. The smell was like a punch to the face.

I thought about making jokes about his system having a bug, but I
decided not to.

The guy was nice, but disgusting with breath that could etch PCBs. His
GF/wife appeared to be retarded, and he had cerebral palsy.

But I felt that I couldn't just leave the man in the lurch since I
imagine he gets that all the time. I was there for an HOUR (the
preloaded image on the drive was borked, among other things).

When I got to my next call and checked my notes, there was a roach on
them. ARRGH.

(Though there was a bright side; the last call was a hottie and I got
her info).

</RAND>