[geeks] Ebooks, baen, and honor harrington

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Tue Jan 7 02:13:00 CST 2003

I had a PalmIIIc and I loved it, but the screen wasn't good enough to
make we want to use it as my primary reading platform. The Tungsten is.
Plus it was a lot bulkier and a lot more fragile.

Ive seen too many problems with the clie's. Yeah they are cool and on
the big ones the screens are amazing, but if you do a side by side
comparison with the clie of the same size, the Tiungstens screen is
better, and though it hasn't been out long enough to get a reliability
record the clie's has been poor and overall palms has been good so Im
guessing that will remain the case.

Oh and the new Proc is WAY faster. Its not all that noticable on the
every day stuff but pictures for example render isntantly and theres no
problem playing mp3s etc... Also you can get a 512m SD card for a
relatively reasonable cost whereas the biggest memory sticks are 128mb.

Oh and the new MobiPocket reader has been enhanced specifically for the
Tungsten and it looks kick ass. Beautiful rendering of both pictures and
text.

> I agree on the CD thing.  I buy all of my Weber books in part
> because he
> does this sort of thing and because I like his writing.  I've
> kept more
> than a few of his books on my Palm for a time.  War God's Own
> and Oath
> of Swords are excellent Fantasy reading.  (Anybody who's a
> support/admin
> person would understand "the rage". ;-)

Oh my yes. I have yet to find a Weber book I didn't like. Same for Eric
Flint. And yes part of that is because of their attitudes towards
privacy, personal freedom etc... But I just plain like their writing. Oh
and I know they understand the plight of the sysadmin. They both have
"day jobs" as engineers. Or at least they both used to I don't knowif
they both still do.

> <snip long list of titles>
> One word: Usenet.
> Give yourself time and you can find almost any title.  You can even
> request hard to find ones.  Beware though 1.0 versions have lots of
> errors. (duh!)  ;-)

Oh yeah I know. Though I hate usenet in general. Any suggestions as to
particular newsgroups?

Actually while we are on the subject, has anybody come out with a better
free newsgroup reader for windows than Gravity?

> Dude.  You know this is an archived mailing list right?

Of course. I have never admitted to any specific verifiable crime,
illegal, or unethical act with enough detail to provide material for an
indictment ;-) And hell you might remember some of my posts about Gun
safety etc... Much more interesting than this one.

Chris Byrne