[geeks] Ebooks, baen, and honor harrington

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 6 22:20:59 CST 2003

Chris Byrne wrote:
> All,
>
> For xmas I got a palm tungsten t, and with the new screen and it's size
> I've stopped carrying a book around in my bag with me and Im just taking
> my palm pilot loaded with ebooks.

My Palm Vx did the same for me.  MobiPocket Reader does ok for most
things but I may pay for TealDoc since it supports more formats.  I only
wish I had more than 8meg.  (Atlas Shrugged is 1.6Meg in size.)  Maybe a
Clie when I get more money.

> Another of my presents was War of Honor from David Weber, the latest in
> the Honor Harrington series. Ive read the first five, and was planning
> on reading the rest, and Bane has dones something amazing with this
> book. Bound into the book is a cd-rom with ALL of The Honor Harrington
> series including war of honor. It also has 20 or so other books mostly
> from Weber, and from Eric Flint who collaborate a lot and who runs the
> Baen Free library. I think this is a GREAT idea. I would gladly pay the
> almost $30 for a harcover if I could get 20 other books as ebooks inside
> it. Or hell even five or six. I wish every publisher did this.
> Especially when they reach a milestone like the tenth book in a series.
> Theres very little I hate more in the reading world thant missing one
> book in a series, especially if that book is out of print or otherwise
> unavailable.

I agree on the CD thing.  I buy all of my Weber books in part because he
does this sort of thing and because I like his writing.  I've kept more
than a few of his books on my Palm for a time.  War God's Own and Oath
of Swords are excellent Fantasy reading.  (Anybody who's a support/admin
person would understand "the rage". ;-)

> Anyway I've managed to grab a bunch of my favorites in various ebook
> format from online (almost all of which I already own. I believe in
> compensating the author for their work if for no oher reason than to
> make sure they write more) but Im having rouble finding a lot of them.
> Basically what Im trying to do is get an ebook of just about every book
> I own if possible. Im sure they are out there, its just a matter of
> finding them (preferably not buying them again).

<snip long list of titles>
One word: Usenet.
Give yourself time and you can find almost any title.  You can even
request hard to find ones.  Beware though 1.0 versions have lots of
errors. (duh!)  ;-)

> Actually that reminds me Bill, I never sent you all those tech books., I
> can easily do that now. Send me a drop point by private email and ill
> pack them off to you. Zipped up they total about a gig or a gig and a
> half.

Dude.  You know this is an archived mailing list right?

Mike Hebel