[geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Yuri K koroby398 at ifrance.com
Mon Jan 6 21:28:52 CST 2003

Hello Bill,

Tuesday, January 7, 2003, 3:03:50 (UTC), you wrote:

BB> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 09:59:58PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>> I recommended a new Mac to my mother about a year ago, thinking a G4
>> tower would suit her nicely.  However, she went out and bought a new
>> iMac.  She liked the look (she's an artist) and didn't need to buy a
>> monitor (her only monitor is a Mac-only monitor used on her 8100).  So,
>> not what I expected, but all good anyway :)

BB> I wanted to "switch" my Mom to a Mac, but she wanted something "like what
BB> I had before, and what I have at work" - so I set her up with a Duron 1100,
BB> XP (with the "Classic" theme, not that fugly new-look), and moved all her old
BB> apps over.. Set her up with a Sun 21" monitor instead of the 15" built-into
BB> her old all-in-one Gateway Celeron 300.. She loves it.

Nation of Mac Moms... My Mom is also on a Mac, albeit oldish S900 with
1 GB RAM and some Sonnet G4 card, Nexus video, whimpy U160 drives,
and yet she doesn't know it's a Mac, she calls it "my computer".
She was confused trying to use XP, when we tried that once, and asked
for "my computer" to be put back. At that time, I attempted to usurp
it for my faxing/e-mailing needs, enjoyed it for 8 days only.
She is 68, and says that for her English studies "my computer" is
better than "that thing". Go figure. I personally find that in terms
of internationalisation Windows became a better platform than old Mac
OS Classic. She learned how to burn CDs on it and is very proud when
she can teach somebody else how to do this.

--
Best regards,
 Yuri

''Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as
you please.'' - Mark Twain