[geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Mon Jan 6 21:16:24 CST 2003

Theres only one problem with that man, if they have physical access to
the machine its theirs. That's it end of story.

But then again Im a security consultant so Im supposed to be paranoid. I
operate under the assumption that my computer can always be compromised,
especially my laptop, so anything that requires real privacy is only
plaintext long enough for me to read it (or doesn't go onto the computer
in the first place). Then I shred it. I keep my encryption keys (along
with all my REALLY personal files, and a backup of my mailbox and all my
personal settings) on a CF card that stays on my person any time Im not
within direct physical control of the machine. Im actually thinking of
switching to one of those USB keychain drives now that they have enough
storage space at a reasonable cost to be practical. It's a hell of a lot
more convenient than having a CF reader with you everywhere you go.

Even then I can be bugged, keylogged, van ecked, or otherwise freaked,
and they can always steal my keys but its better than nothing (and as
anyone who knows me knows, stealing those keys isnt gonna be easy ;-).