[geeks] Re: Help me convert a computer illiterate to an iMac!

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Mon Jan 6 17:58:03 CST 2003

Hey, you can actually make XPPro into a slightly improved version of 2k.
You just shut off everything that's different from 2k, disable all the
extra "features" and you've got basically a 2k pro box. You even have
all the same tools and they work in the same way. You can even diable
the graphical login if you want with a registry hack.

Actually the graphical login is one of the few things I like about XP,
but what happens if you have like 200 accounts on the machine? Ive never
tried it and never bothered to find out if theres even a limit (Id
assume there was)

Yeah it will still have a larger memory footprint and higher resource
utilization than 2k, but not that much. Shutting off all the extra
graphical bullshit massivley cuts down on both cycle and mem usage. And
yeah its still got some oddities like shwoing swapfile usage instead of
physical memory usage in the task manager (anyone know if that's
changeable?) but overall Id say it's a bit better than 2kpro, especially
if you have brand new hardware.

Chris Byrne