[geeks] MacOS X and video cards

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jan 6 15:20:25 CST 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    That sounds good.  Can someone recommend an affordable PCI video card
> for MacOS X, no OpenGL or any other crap, but decent resolution and bit
> depth?  Quartz Extreme would be a nice bonus.

You're not going to get QE without OGL.  I was happy with my Radeon
7000, and they can be had for < $100 used.  It did one monitor of
1600x1200 at 72 and a second one of 1280x1024 at 72 without a complaint, and
with QE "acceleration" (with the property-list hack).  However, with
-that- much framebuffer in use, QE actually slowed things down because
it was saturating the PCI bus.

If that's too rich, maybe one of the second-generation Rage128 cards is
more along the lines of what you'd like.  It's a damn shame that Matrox
hasn't penetrated the Mac market yet.  There's a real lack of decent 2D
cards for Macs.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "everything i know about animals i learned from
Thorndale, TX      (*   ORA books."                  --alex j avriette