[geeks] WCMS recommendations

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 4 06:50:13 CST 2003

On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 07:46 AM, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> Dave's post on Mambo server (for neutorica.com) has reminded me that I
> need to set up a small website for a new company I've just started.
> The website will be used to distribute information about the company
> as well as (regularly updated) product listings and special promotion
> high-lights.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good web content management system? So far I've
> only looked at phpWebSite and Mambo server (they both look pretty
> good, though Dave's comments about phpWebSite have been noted). GPL'd
> applications would be preferred if available.
>
> I'm going to make a dedicated low-end webserver (probably an HP
> rp2430) available for the site, so there are no problems with
> application dependencies e.g. mySQL or PERL etc.

   I have played with phpWebSite, PHPNuke, PostNuke, OpenCMS, and Mambo
Site Server.  OpenCMS is very high-tech and amazingly capable, but it
still has some issues and eats LOTS of horsepower.  Mambo is the best
I've seen.  It needs PHP and MySQL.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols