[geeks] cheap 802.11?

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 17:37:54 CST 2003

On Friday 28 February 2003 10:43 pm, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:
>     Gary> 2> Use 128-bit WEP (with a decent key) and change your key
>     Gary> 2> periodically!
>
> We really need help from the vendors (dare I say even from MS) to
> facilitate this.  The process of changing the key is just too much
> more painful than it should be, especially with a roaming workforce

WEP is being replaced with WPA in the near future which automatically
changes the encryption key every 10,000 packets(?) so should make
cracking the encryption a bit tougher. Mind you I'm sufficiently
paranoid that I'm not going to trust it ... it comes from the same
people who told us that WEP was secure, and smells like a bodge.