[geeks] 802.11

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Feb 27 17:35:37 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 15:05, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> distance info. I have found lots of things stating what the standard is, but
> nothing listing what the common distance is for it to broadcast (without
> heroic modification) anyone got a site they can point me to? Just need some
> facts. I want to get my full points today for Dave baiting so any help would
> be appreciated.

This depends quite a bit on your equipment, but i'll provide a few data
points.  All recent unmodified wireless networking i've done has been
with the mini-pci orinoco card in my inspiron 8200, which runs windows,
so i judge signal quality by how many of the little green bars i have.

Short version: You can get a LOT more than 50 feet.

long version:

Apple Airport (mine is the version with the orinoco silver card in it)
My airport is in the basement sitting on top of my rack, this puts it
close to the ceiling.  I get flawless signal anywhere in the basement
that i've tried.  Upstairs, i get flawless signal in the room above the
AP, and marginal but usable signal in nearly all of the ground floor.
On the second floor directly above the AP, i get marginal but usable
signal, rooms away from it vary from marginal but usable to flaky to no
signal.  On the front porch, i get marginal to flaky signal, and on the
deck in the backyard, i get marginal to near-perfect signal.

Linksys AP's  (sorry, don't know model numbers)
AP with built in ethernet switch and "router":  This one is in the front
of a small second floor office.  I get full signal anywhere in the
office (up to maybe 75 feet away going through several walls), and full
to marginal signal depending on where i park in the parking lot.
Regular AP: This one is in a larger office, perfect signal in 90% of the
office building, up to maybe 250 feet?) going through a few walls.
Inside the building, the only place where signal drops off is in the
break room, which is on the opposite end of the building.  depending on
where you are in the break room, signal has to penetrate two outside
walls.  In those areas, signal is marginal to flaky, where it doesn't
have to penetrate outside walls, signal is marginal but usable.
Untested from outside.

Note that all distances are estimated, and of course, YMMV greatly.

	-Dan Sikorski