[geeks] OSX and network filesystems

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Fri Feb 7 15:45:49 CST 2003

Well, here's what I do for a linux server feeding several different
OS's.

1.  NFS:  I have several flavors of UNIX floating around here at every
given time.  ANY of them can reach this, including OSX (just use
nfs://hostname in the connect to server dialog).  Over the last few
years, Linux's NFS support as matured greatly.  People who are still
whining about how bad it is are just parroting.  NFS does have major
security issues to keep under consideration, but if you are using this
on a private subnet in your home, I don't see it being much of an issue

2.  Samba:  I don't have any windows boxes here, but sometimes friends
come over with laptops and it's the easiest way to get the files back
and forth.  I don't have samba running all the time, I just start it up
as needed.  If I want to reach it with the OSX machine, it's smb://

3.  Appletalk:  The magic zero-setup protocol.  Before the move to OSX,
we used to have quite a few macs that relied on this.  Netatalk for
Linux is arguably the easiest file server to set up.  With zero
configuration it does encrypted authentication and allows each user
access to their home directory.  If you want to add one line to one file
you now have a shared directory.  And, since it is already creating real
files for the resource.frk, etc, you can actual do backups with sane
tools like tar.

4.  AFS:  Don't bother, kerberos is a pain in the ass, and AFS wants its
own dedicated partition. (but I'm thinking maybe you meant AFP, which is
just what apple calls Appletalk file sharing now).

Well, there's my US$0.02

Caleb

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 01:24, Kevin wrote:
Caleb Shay                                   "UNIX _IS_ user friendly.
Programmer/System Administrator              It's just particular about
Providence, RI                               who its friends are."