[geeks] Dual Xeon vs Dual G4

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Sun Feb 2 23:33:17 CST 2003

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 09:34:05AM +0100, William S. wrote:
> I know some of you have experience with these machines.
> I was curious how they would compare so I did a "Google"
> search and came up with a few references.
>
> I am not sure how relevant these tests are but thought
> some of you might have a better grasp of what's going on.
>
> Given a choice, which way would you lean? I have a feeling
> most will support the G4 not just from a hardware view but
> software (OSX vs XP).

I'd have to go with the dual G4 running OS X.  I firmly believe that the
developer libraries that Apple's provides would make me a more
productive programmer than what I am using what I write myself or find
on linux on my dual x86 machine.  Sometimes speed is secondary to having
the right software tools, although I'm not convinced that speed really
is secondary in this case.