[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 1 03:27:36 CST 2003

On Saturday 01 February 2003 4:20 am, Chris Byrne wrote:
> The first part I knew, the second part. Wow. The machine that
> probably did more to spread UNIX than any other, and it didn't get
> GCC for 10 years. Any particular reason why not, or was it just that
> there were already good C compilers avaialble for it.

This might be total bullshit but ...

I suspect the reason the PDP didn't get it was simply the reason that it
didn't need it ... the UNIXes for the PDP all came with compilers (as
far as I remember) whereas commercial UNIXes on newer architectures
sometimes didn't.

> Huh, very cool. Are they still functional? I knew ITS never made it
> past the PDP-10, I just wasn't sure how long it kept going. According
> to the Jargon file the last one was shut down in may 1990.

I believe that ITS runs on some of the PDP-10 emulators, so I guess you
could say that there will never be a last one now.