[geeks] masculanity and geekdom

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 2 20:06:48 CST 2003

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 07:45 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Well, I can't (and wouldn't dare) speak for Amy, but I have known men
> my whole life (all 39 years, though I don't remember all of them now
> ;^), and the most generous number I can come up with is a sample size
> of around 500 that I have casually known.

Wow.  What do you mean by "casually known".  Known enough to know how
they feel about things or been close enough to observe their actions.
I'm just curious because the former I have a hard time coming up with
greater than 100 in my lifetime.  Maybe I just lived a sheltered life.

> Anyway, to try and make sweeping statements about all men, or even the
> subset of Geeky men (AV Squad graduates? ;^) from a sample size that
> small compared with the male population, would just be wrong.

Oh.  You mean like the "majority of the US population" that supports
shrub going to war. ;-)

> <soapbox>
>
> I, for one, have no problem expressing emotion, my problem is the
> oposite, actually, but that is mainly because my father didn't
> show/emote that much in front of me.

Hmm...I grew up being a "crybaby" then went on to become "the quiet
one".  I hardly show emotion now unless it's anger although I've been
told many times that my face tends to give me away heavily.

> I feel, but I don't know how to deal with - only to the point it makes
> for slightly uncomfortable situations, nothing more.

If I had to choose a common motivator for my life I suppose it would be
"fear of embarrassment".  In the past I would do anything to avoid being
in an uncomfortable situation.  Even to the point of avoiding things I
liked doing.  Been lately correcting that issue.

> I wouldn't call this a problem, more of a situation - I figure I've got
> the hard part, but if I work it right, my kids will learn from my
> example and not only feel, but know how to deal with their emotions.

I hope like the dickens that I'm not passing my bad habits on to my
child.  But then right now my child is having a hard time with most
things...

> Come on group hug!
> </soapbox>

"With another guy!  Are you crazy!" ;-)