[geeks] masculanity and geekdom

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 19:45:52 CST 2003

--- Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 February 2003 23:37, Amy wrote:
> > > FWIW - If allowed I'll drop the subject here - I've said my
> piece.
> >
> > If you wish and I understand, although the whole manly emotions
> > thing would be an interesting thread (it's a pet-peeve of mine
> > that men are too conditioned to not say or maybe even believe
> in what they're feeling).
>
> Good. Anyone care to start a thread about masculanity and geekdom?
>
> Ah what the hell...

Well, I can't (and wouldn't dare) speak for Amy, but I have known men
my whole life (all 39 years, though I don't remember all of them now
;^), and the most generous number I can come up with is a sample size
of around 500 that I have casually known.

Anyway, to try and make sweeping statements about all men, or even the
subset of Geeky men (AV Squad graduates? ;^) from a sample size that
small compared with the male population, would just be wrong.

<soapbox>

I, for one, have no problem expressing emotion, my problem is the
oposite, actually, but that is mainly because my father didn't
show/emote that much in front of me.

I feel, but I don't know how to deal with - only to the point it makes
for slightly uncomfortable situations, nothing more.

I wouldn't call this a problem, more of a situation - I figure I've got
the hard part, but if I work it right, my kids will learn from my
example and not only feel, but know how to deal with their emotions.

Come on group hug!
</soapbox>

=====
Lionel