[geeks] Avoiding Blowhard Syndrome redux..

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 2 16:25:30 CST 2003

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 04:07 PM, Amy wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> The point - at least the one I was working towards - was to help Chris
>> understand and moderate what he posts.  Cutting his head off does
>> nothing to solve the solution.
>
> Nope, but it sure as hell makes me feel better after dealing with 30-40
> people emailing me and saying (paraphrased) "please for the love of god
> shut him up!"

I was not aware of such a response.  Perhaps I'm just a little more
tolerant than most people.  I never thought of myself as such though.

>> In fact all cutting people's heads off does is leave you with a pile of
>> corpses and people who walk a wide path around you because you cut
>> heads
>> off.
>
> Good. It'll keep the fools away.

Umm...ok.

>> *sigh*  This sort of attack - and it IS an attack - should have gone to
>> him off-list.  I know you're going to be angry with me for saying this
>> but isn't this the attitude that you complained others said about you?
>
> Mike, right now I couldn't give a flying rat's ass what anyone thinks
> about me. I'm too busy clotting, stringing, feeling like utter shit, and
> bleeding like a stuck pig to worry about tactful suggestions. And you
> know
> what? Everyone out there gives just as much of a shit about that or me
> as
> they do about Byrne's mother getting cancer for the 45th fucking time or
> his latest run-in with the law or one of his supposed former careers but
> you don't bloody well hear me bitchin' about it every month (let alone
> every other day) now do ya?

1) People do give a damn even if they don't say so.  Please don't think
all people are unfeeling and lump us all together because we aren't.  I
often can't express my true feelings about things because of a situation
or the company I'm in.  Do you really think a group of "Manly Men" could
show serious emotion?  It's not "accepted" for men to do that.

2) Point taken about the "bitchin' about it" but perhaps that's what
Chris needs as an outlet.  Times are tough - for everyone.  I personally
have gone through another several paper journals that I _had_ to write
or I would crack and crack hard.  Perhaps Chris is the same way online.
I don't know.

> As for the off-list, well, I don't care to talk to him off-list. I don't
> see any damn point to it. He'll be as oblivious there as he would here
> (if
> not more so) and I don't need any more clutter in my inbox than already
> exists.

That's an understandable point of view but wouldn't it be good to keep
in mind that posting as you did on the list causes the same sort of
issues you're trying to prevent?

FWIW - If allowed I'll drop the subject here - I've said my piece.

Mike Hebel