[geeks] Solaris X86?

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Dec 20 03:25:04 CST 2003

On 27/11/2003, at 12:18, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Hi, I'm getting a dual PII 400 Intel brand server as part of a trade.
> I'd like to use it as a file and print server. I'd like to run
> something
> on it that is reliable.

I've never used Solaris 9 on Intel, but my experience with Sol8 Intel
is that I'd rather run linux or one of the BSDs. The hardware support
was limited to the point of painful. There's no guarantee that the
hardware you get will be on the list.

Otherwise, yes, it is nice to have the familiar Solaris feel on the
server, but realistically speaking, I'm not sure what sort of benefit
there is to it. If it were a SPARC box, i wouldn't hesitate to say
"SOLARIS!", but linux support is much better on Intel.

Others may disagree, and that is their right.

---sambo