[geeks] Solaris X86?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:04 CST 2003

Hi, I'm getting a dual PII 400 Intel brand server as part of a trade.
I'd like to use it as a file and print server. I'd like to run something
on it that is reliable.

I've had good luck with Linux based servers in the past. I thought that
if it ran on it, Solaris x86 might be a better choice. It requires a $20
payment on a credit card to download it. My VISA card is only valid in
Israel, I have to get my wife to pay for it.

I'd rather not pay for it and download it just to play with it and
decide it was a waste of time. If it seems viable then I'll gladly
do it.

I'd rather stick to something I know to save time, so that's why I
thought about Solaris. I'm familiar with SPARC Solaris, and Linux
(Red Hat, SUSE and YellowDog). Please don't suggest that I buy a
cheap SPARC machine, they simply don't exist here.

Does anyone have a strong opinion pro or con or some usage tips?

It will be a small network, 4 or 5 linux boxes, 2 windows machines,
and a few Macs running OSX and maybe one running OS9.

1. NFS server for the linux boxes and OSX Macs.

2. Samba server for the windows boxes.

3. NetAtalk for the one OS9 machine (if it ever happens).

4. CUPS to support one or two printers.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.
--