[geeks] iBook external screen experience

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Dec 20 03:25:03 CST 2003

On 26/11/2003, at 01:08, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> Is there any way of forcing an ibook to drive the external video port
> at a
> higher resolution than the 1024x768?

Not that I know of, though I don't claim to know everything by a long
shot.

> Is there a way of also forcing the iBook to not go to sleep mode when
> the
> lid is closed? I believe there is a patch for the powerbook to do the
> same. I just wanna know if there is a way of automatig the process,
> i.e.
> if I plug an external mouse/keyboard/monitor then I wanna use the vga
> out
> port at 1200x1024 as the main display with the screen lid closed, and
> use
> the builtin screen otherwise.

I believe if you have an external monitor/kbd/mouse hooked up, it will
not go to sleep if you close the lid. I think you have to have it open,
hook those things up, then close it for it to work.

Alternatively, you could install KisMac and run the kernel patch
included with it, but please do read the warning that accompanies it.
I'm NOT suggesting you do it. You're on your own if your iBook dies a
horrible heat death.

---sambo