[geeks] Indy kernel crash

rob rob at dsvr.net
Sat Dec 20 03:25:02 CST 2003

Hi,

I've been running an Indy with 6.5.18f for a while, and decided to up to
6.5.22m

I updated the system with the following patches first (including patch
5086 for inst and 6.5.21+) :

patchSG0004814.tardist
patchSG0004862.tardist
patchSG0004881.tardist
patchSG0004932.tardist
patchSG0004998.tardist
patchSG0004999.tardist
patchSG0005039.tardist
patchSG0005060.tardist
patchSG0005063.tardist
patchSG0005071.tardist
patchSG0005086.tardist
patchSG0005098.tardist
patchSG0005182.tardist
patchSG0005192.tardist
patchSG0005241.tardist
patchSG0005267.tardist
patchSG0005313.tardist
patchSG0005316.tardist

AFAIR these are various 6.5.18 patches, including NFS etc.

Anyway, Indy installs the required and I get ready to reboot. Kernel
panic during shutdown. Reboot, and no joy, kernel panics evertime.

So I try loading up all of 6.5base and 6.5.18f disks over the network.
OK. keep * ; install standard and list. Nothing scheduled to install -
OK thinks I, as the installed system is pretty much all this anyway. So
I force eoe to install, thinking that's the kernel, but no. It makes no
diff.

Has anyone got any insight here ? Anyone know how to force the
installation of a new default kernel ?

Cheers,

Rob