[geeks] cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Dec 20 03:24:52 CST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:10:45 -0600
Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Cox, at least in RI, requires DHCP be bound to NetBIOS.  Yes.  Your
> > computer/firewall/whatever needs to send a NetBIOS name in it's DHCP
> > request in order to gain an IP.
>
> AFAIK Cox hasn't required such things since @Home went out of business
> (early 2002 I think) and handed stuff over the local cable companies.
> If RI Cox is anything like Cox Cable internet 'round here ("'round
> here" being Omaha, NE) it's just straight, unadultrated DHCP.

My last experience with them in this regard was in mid-2002.  If things
have changed, then good for them.  Last I knew, though, when my
sister-in-law got Cox Cable Internet, it still required NetBIOS - this
was only about three months ago.

--
Kurt                  The superior man understands what is right;
kurt at k-huhn.com       the inferior man understands what will sell.