[geeks] cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:24:52 CST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I can peg my cablemodem at my capped bandwidth (3M down, 384k up) pretty
> much any time of day or night.  It depends on how many people are in
> your neighborhood, etc.  Plus, all bandwidth is shared *somewhere*,
> whether its on the CPE end or at the DS3 connection to the "net".

You and I are pretty fortunate... Roadrunner is often bad about
saturating a local loop.  I think the local phone company's DSL
service has been keeping Time Warner more honest here lately...
I find the touting of the speed increase to 3Mbit pretty amusing
since originally here Roadrunner was 10Mbit down (yes, that is full
ethernet speed down) and they silently brought it down to 2M.

Now, I've never had a real problem with Roadrunner, they've been
great for me, but I know people who live in big apartment complexes
who aren't so happy.

--Kurt