[geeks] cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Dec 20 03:24:50 CST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:51:06 -0500
William Enestvedt wrote:

> I'm ignerunt, so if anyone could give me a hand choosing between Cox
> Cable and Verizon DSL for broadband, I'd be grateful.

<obDisclaimer>
I haven't used any ISP in RI in about 18 months, so my experience might
be dated.
</obDisclaimer>

Cox, at least in RI, requires DHCP be bound to NetBIOS.  Yes.  Your
computer/firewall/whatever needs to send a NetBIOS name in it's DHCP
request in order to gain an IP.  They do not offer static IPs.  If you
have a windows box around that you can use to get the IP every time it
changes andset it staticly in your firewall, then you're okay.  Either
that or use a firewall that implements this fuckery in DHCP requests.
After you get an IP, though, it's pretty damn fast and stable.

I have no experience with Verizon.

I suggest that you might want to spend a few dollars more and go with
Speakeasy if they're available in your area.  Dealing with those guys is
just smooth as silk.

--
Kurt                  The superior man understands what is right;
kurt at k-huhn.com       the inferior man understands what will sell.