[geeks] cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Dec 20 03:24:51 CST 2003

On Tuesday, Nov 18, 2003, at 19:39 Asia/Jerusalem, William Enestvedt
wrote:

> laptop once in a while, I'll need a little Soho router, right?

Yep.

>  And iknow that LinkSys stuff is ppopular, but I thought there was
> aproblem upgrading the fireware from a Mac (which is important, as
> they tend
> to release a lot of updates that are worth applying). Oh, and Belkin
> are
> idiots. Any votes for favorites?

I like the linksys stuff. Never had a problem with it AT ALL. I
discovered that the firmware upgrade problem is actually an unfortunate
browser compatibility problem. Using IE that comes with your Mac  makes
it OK.

Yes, Belkin are idiots. DO NOT be swayed by the appealing prices on
their equipment. Just for an example of what's wrong with them:

I am at the end of a cable modem in Israel that requires me to
establish a PPTP connection to my ISP. OK, that's fscked up enough
as-is. I have a Belkin wireless "4-port cable/dsl router" which has
PPTP capability built in. Attach it to my cable modem, and configure.
Only problem is, the configurator REQUIRES you to have a static IP for
PPTP and will not work with DHCP. That's just stupid, especially since
no ISP that I know of using PPTP is handing out static IPs.

So I had to build a linux "router" to sit between the cable modem and
the Belkin to establish the PPTP link and route traffic from the
outside world to my little internal network. Crappy Belkin piece of

---sambo