[geeks] cable modem or verizon DSL (in Rhode Island)?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:24:51 CST 2003

Kurt wrote:

> Cox, at least in RI, requires DHCP be bound to NetBIOS.

   But...but...but they say that they support Macs! Are they only stringing me
along? Bastards!
   That raises another question: they'll probably only give me one cable,
right? So if I want to plug in my work (XPPro/Linux) laptop or my wife's Win20
laptop once in a while, I'll need a little Soho router, right? I've seen good
press on this list (from Bill?) for stuff by Barricade, if I'm remembering
correctly. And iknow that LinkSys stuff is ppopular, but I thought there was
aproblem upgrading the fireware from a Mac (which is important, as they tend
to release a lot of updates that are worth applying). Oh, and Belkin are
idiots. Any votes for favorites?

> I suggest that you might want to spend a few dollars more and go with
> Speakeasy if they're available in your area.

   Not in my area. Bummer, as I've heard good things about them in the past.
-wde
P.S. Thanks for all the advice!
--
Will Enestvedt