[geeks] Re: geeks Digest, Vol 13, Issue 60

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Dec 26 13:09:50 CST 2003

BTW -- there's a Guns list again, let's use it?  Followups redirected.
C'mon, guys, it costs nothing to sign up.  :)

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 11:53:56AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Note: I don't mind them doing a criminal check.  The thing I mind is
> that I can see no safeguards which keep it from becoming a check for
> something else entirely.  I also believe that a "cooling off period" is
> useless for existing gun owners.  I mean, they already have a gun...

It's not about controlling crime.  It's about inconveniencing gun owners
and gun buyers.

After the Brady Bill was passed, the president of HCI held a press
conference at which he stated straight out that HCI had known all along
that the bill would do nothing to reduce crime.  He then brought out a
big sheaf of additional planned bills that HCI wanted to push, and said
(I quote):

"[The NRA] said that Brady would be the nose of the camel under the
 tent.  Well, here's the rest of the camel."