[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:50 CST 2003

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:25:32 -0600, "Mike Hebel" <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com>
said:

> So you would deny them experience that could potentially save their
> lives in certain situations?  I personally want my daughter to be able
> to pick up the gun that the criminal dropped while abducting her and
> shoot him.  I expect my child to survive.  High standards I know and
> not a popular opinion but I still hold my own views fast.  (Oy.  The
> hate mail I'm going to get now... ;-)

No hate mail from me.  I agree whole-heartedly--especially for the female
children.

> Obviously there's safety issues and age issues but those are to be
> determined by the parent.
> I'm personally waiting for certain awareness levels in my child so I
> can teach her about many things - combat and self-defense among them.
> That probably won't be for quite some time yet.

Ditto on that.  But don't under-estimate the safety factor.  The husband-
unit finally convinced one of his then girlfriends that he needed to make
teach her kids "gun safe" when he took the firing pin and magazine out of
his Browning, gave it to the two year old and asked the boy to "show me
how you work this".  The two year old struggled with it for a while, but
finally managed to pull the slide back by clamping the grip in between
his
feet.

Now, the husband is exceedingly conscientious about gun safety, locking,
etc, since in Canada, when you register your guns, you basically give up
your home privacy rights--the police no longer need a warrant to come
into your house and inspect how you store your firearms--and if they find
anything unlawful in the process, well, that's your tough luck, 'cause
it's
all admissable.  But kids are curious and when your friends own firearms
too, it pays to be safer by teaching them what not to do.

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller
  vraptor at promessage.com