[geeks] CCW for Ohio!

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Dec 20 03:25:49 CST 2003

On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 08:06 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 09:00:37PM -0500, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>> On Dec 15, 2003, at 7:18 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> I certainly don't have a problem with the idea of jury duty.
>>>
>>> (Now what I *DO* have a problem with is the practice of the legal
>>> teams
>>> involved screening the jurors to try to select the most ignorant and
>>> impressionable, rather than the intelligent jurors capable of
>>> reasoning
>>> for themselves.  I know several people who've told me that whenever
>>> they've been called for jury duty, the moment they state they have a
>>> college degree, they're eliminated from the pool.)
>>>
>> That does sound wrong.... my problem is the fact that it is time off
>> without pay.
>
> Well, with low pay, but my understanding was that your employer is
> required to make up the difference.  (This may be a state-by-state
> issue, though.)

Definitely a state-by-state issue.  When I went I was told by the jury
duty people that the $12/day I was getting was supposed to cover my
time off.  When I was making $50k/year...
Yeah...right...

On a lighter note it was where I started writing in journals and found
that I enjoyed writing when I'm not stressed to do other things.

Like figure out which one of the DIMMS in my SS5 caused my webserver to
roll over today.
*rolls eyes*

Mike Hebel